Thursday, March 28, 2013

Happy Birthday, Makena!

 
Makena June Byrne was born on March 7, 2013 at 12:53pm.
She weighed 7lbs 15oz and was 19" long.

 
We are just a little bit obsessed with her...
okay, a lot. We are A WHOLE LOT obsessed with her!

 
I was scheduled to be induced on 3/7/2013 at 7am. I went in the day before to get a foley bulb catheter put in...which is basically just a catheter that goes in your cervix with a balloon at the end of it. It is supposed to help you dilate, since inductions are typically more successful if you are dilated first. Well, Makena was apparently a little bit impatient because the catheter didn't just help me dilate, it put me into full on labor! About 30 minutes after it was inserted I began contracting. And about 30 minutes after they began, they were almost unbearable. We waited for an hour or two to see if the contractions would die down or if this was the real thing. They were only getting worse and had almost no breaks in between. When I couldn't take it anymore, we finally went to the hospital. I was admitted and found out I had dilated to 4cm in just over an hour. Yay!
I got the epidural and O M G...it was the best. I couldn't feel my contractions anymore and I was able to sleep a little before all the real action began.

 
The epidural began wearing off once I was fully dilated around 10am. They gave me more, but it was ineffective since the baby was so low and ready to come out. At 10:45am I started pushing. It was more exhausting and more painful than anything I could have ever imagined. I thought there was no way I could do it. I pushed and pushed for over two hours. I was EXHAUSTED and I didn't know why she wasn't coming out!

 
Finally, my doctor came in. He quickly realized that Makena wasn't coming down any further. She was too big! I was given the choice of forceps or c-section. There was no way after all that work I was about to agree to surgery, so forceps it was. That was when the real pain started. I thought I might literally die. But with the help of forceps, an episiotomy, some tearing (ouch), and the most amazing doctor in the entire world...3 pushes later she was out.

 
My doctor had me look down and watch as she came out. I am so thankful for that because it was the most incredible thing I have ever seen.
The moment I first saw my baby girl is indescribable. I immediately forgot about all of the pain. I am crying just thinking about that moment. The best moment of my life. I wish I could relive it over and over and over again. What a miracle. I can't believe I did it! I can't believe she is mine! I am so in love. SO beyond in love. I love her so much it hurts my heart.

 
I held my sweet baby for over an hour while we did skin to skin and she learned to nurse. It didn't take a lot of teaching though! She came out hungry and ate pretty immediately. My strong little girl was holding up her head and looking for food the second she came out.

 
25 stitches and a whole ton of pain meds later we got to go to the recovery room. Recovery was NOT fun. Good thing I have an amazing husband and mom to help me! Two days later, on the 9th, we got to take our baby home!

 
Makena is 3 weeks old now and time is flying by. I want to press a pause button! I love her so much and I am learned new things every day. I'm not fully recovered yet (but getting better every day), and I'm not back to normal life yet...but that's okay. Everything is so worth it for this little face! I'm soaking up every second of these first weeks. I'll get back to normal life eventually. :)

 
It was a long road to get here, but every moment - every up and every down - was worth it.
I'd do it all over again for you, Makena!
I love you!
 
P.S. Sorry for the typos and spelling errors...I've got a sleeping baby on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment